Saturday, January 10, 2015

My Road to Noonday

The road began over 7 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child.
Some background - My first pregnancy was nothing like I thought it would be. My mom and Grandma had always told me that being pregnant was the best they ever felt. This was not the case for me. In fact, I felt my very worst. I was working as a stylist at a busy salon and would come home just exhausted. I rarely did anything outside of work, I was just too tired. My hobbies included the old fashioned Netflix - where you received one DVD at a time in the mail. This was my Alias season in life. I vicariously lived through Sydney Bristow, kicking butt and looking cool while I was surviving my first pregnancy.
Our church had started having a women's event called “Chick Night.” Sara Groves, the Christian singer (and MN Native) was going to be there. I liked her songs. I envisioned this night would be similar to a VH1 Storytellers episode - only instead of the song being inspired by drugs or women, it would be inspired by Jesus. Oh...did I mention there was going to be dessert after? It motivated me enough to put down the remote and get to the special service at church.
I had no idea that this night was going to change me forever.
I immediately loved Sara right away. She was down to earth - a mama, funny, and she rambled a bit. We could totally be friends, you guys. However, instead of lofty stories of songwriting in a field with Jesus like I pictured. She spoke of something much more heavy. She talked about on organization called International Justice Mission, where some lawyers came together and were rescuing people around the world from unimaginable situations and prosecuting the criminals that were responsible. She spoke about the Rwandan genocide. It was all too much to take in. I knew about the genocide, but to see it through her eyes was different. She made it personal.
It was also the first time I heard about human trafficking and the depth of what was really going on. I was dumbfounded.
I had no idea that this was occurring in the world I was about to welcome a baby into. That this was happening to women just like me. One particular story she told was of a young girl who had been trafficked. She had a verse written beside her bed and she clung to that verse. (If I could remember that verse this story would be even better). I'll never forget what Sara said next. She said, "that girl knows Jesus in a way that I will never know Jesus." She was later rescued by IJM.
That night Sara closed with the song “I Saw What I Saw
And a few of the lyrics go like this:
I saw what I saw and I can't forget it
I heard what I heard and I can't go back
I know what I know and I can't deny it
Your pain has changed me
Your dream inspires
Your face a memory
Your hope a fire
Your courage asks me
What I am afraid of
What I am made of
It broke me. 
I tried to hold back the tears that eventually led into full sobs. Yep. I was a 7 month pregnant girl. Full-on ugly crying in church. This night, that song, her words all changed me. I could no longer go forth in the world blindly. I knew I couldn't keep going forward the same way. I started to read anything and everything on global poverty, human trafficking, the orphan crisis. Fun topics, I know… but I just felt like I had to know what I could do to help. No matter how many pounds of (DELICIOUS) Fair Trade coffee I bought, I never felt like it was enough. 
27 million is slavery today, 2 million children in the sex industry. More slaves then any other time in history.
Christine Caine once put out the question - "When your kids read about this in their history books, when they ask what you did about it - What will you tell them?"


I knew the answer. I hope my kids do not even have to ask if I was aware of this. I hope they know that I did every thing in my power to help, to make a difference. Even though I didn't know what it would look like. I prayed, I gave $$, tried to shop differently.
Then one day while I was in another pregnancy, I was scrolling through good ol' Facebook and one of my favorite bloggers, Jen Hatmaker, was posting about a party she was having to benefit a friend's adoption. She kept posting pictures of the items - beautiful, stylish accessories. I wanted them all!!!!
I clicked over to the Noonday Collection website to check it out. I read that it was much more than just fashionable items. Noonday Collection sells handmade items from artisans from all over the world to give them a pathway out of poverty. They were changing lives just by having us shop.
Which, let's face it, we do anyway... 
I watched a video about the Noonday artisans and yep, you guessed it, I ugly cried again.
I felt like God was telling me that this is what I had been praying about when I was asking to do more. I read more about it and what it meant to become a Noonday ambassador - you partnered with other women to host shows. You bought samples to show the women some of the gorgeous items. Then you get in front of the group and share a short presentation about Noonday Collection. 
Wait, what??
This was the part that terrified me. I quickly started hearing, "This is not from God, you're awful at public speaking, he would so not have you do this." And as I wrestled with my insecurities, I kept reading the stories of the artisans whose lives were now changed. I thought to myself that I can be uncomfortable for 15 minutes to help others around the world. I can get over myself and share their stories with women in MN and inspire them to shop differently - that shopping with a purpose is a powerful thing, that we can help change the world just by where we shop. So simple and yet so meaningful.
And so I embarked on the journey as Noonday ambassador. Even while pregnant with twins. Even filled with self doubt. My pastor's wife always says “do it scared”. I was trembling my first show with neighbors and friends but it did get easier.  It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I love Noonday and all the work they do. I love learning the stories of the artisans and hearing their stories of restoration and hope. Almost 2 years later, I still get choked up when I share their stories at a party. I am privileged to be apart of an amazing community of ambassadors that inspire, encourage, and challenge me every day. 

I'm so thankful for Noonday. It's given me a new confidence. It helped me face and overcome my fear of public speaking, which has given me the courage to face other fears in my life. Last summer, I went to Washington DC to lobby with International Justice Mission to lobby on anti-trafficking measures. I just enrolled back in college to finish my degree. I know I would not have done that with out first being involved with Noonday Collection. 
I try not and think about all the other things that I didn't do or go to because I was too afraid before. I encourage you that if there is something in your life that you're scared to do, do it scared. It may not be easy, but I bet good things will come out of it - new friends, adventures, and growth. 
Next week, I get on a plane and head to Austin Texas for the Noonday Collection conference. I am so excited for this trip and for what God will do. 
And yes, I will be packing the Kleenex and the waterproof mascara just in case I ugly cry again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment