Saturday, June 13, 2015

Girls just want to have fun!

A couple weeks ago when Zak was in sunny California (I am not bitter) for a wedding, I was home with the kiddos. At first, I was very envious of his little get away. But that weekend for me served as a great reminder of what it is important. In my last blog, I shared how we had ice cream sundaes and watched movies in my bed. We stayed up later than normal and we were extra silly. But my favorite day was the day that followed.

We had no plans, no agenda, and no to-do list. It was a beautiful day - sunny with no humidity and just...perfection. These are the kind of summer days that talk us Minnesotans into staying here all year long. We took a blanket and laid it out in the backyard and we just hung out. The kids would play, come back, and lay on the blanket. We ate grapes and chatted about nothing. It was bliss. As I sat there cuddling my babes, I thought -

I need more of this in my daily life.
Just hanging out in the back yard

I love this pic, she looks like she is flower child signing "peace" but in reality she is pointing to the airplane.




This past Mother's Day, my aunt encouraged me to watch the movie “Momʼs Night Out.” So to end the day, my husband and I bought the movie and we were prepared to laugh away. About 5 minutes in, I was pretty sure this movie was based on my life. I did laugh throughout the movie; but I also cried big, hot tears. I may have been a mess. I related with the main character in the movie - bogged down by the 24-hour job of being a mom; filled with agendas and never-ending days. The job we always wanted and still we find ourselves struggling.

Then this last week while my friend was doing my hair, we were chatting away and she said, "You're so busy with being a mom, going to school, your Noonday work, what do you do for fun?” I sat there and just blinked. I wasn't sure how to answer. I wasn’t sure I had an answer.

On the drive home, I realized I am missing fun in my life. Sure, I have fun when I do Noonday. I enjoy school. And I really do love being a stay-at-home mom. This last year was a stressful season. And in the “I am barely holding it all together” time, I have smiled and laughed so much less. We are coming out of this season and it’s refreshing. I feel like I can relax and breathe a little easier. I think God is teaching me about joy and finding it in all seasons. I get too wound up about the details. I need to give more to him and focus on today. The have-toʼs and the never ending to-do lists do not need to rule my life. So here are a few things I’m going to start trying to do.

1. More sleep. I need sleep to be able to smile more. No matter how much Jesus I have in my heart if I have not been sleeping, I struggle to find my joy.  In my psych class, we just read about what occurs in your body when you’re sleep deprived. It isn’t good, friends. I always knew it wasn’t pretty, but once I looked at it in depth, I totally need to get some more zzzʼs. And, of course, I am also blaming lack of sleep for the baby weight that keeps managing to stay with me. When I am rested, I am rational. I can focus and little things do not bother me much. So I am convinced that sleep will help me have more fun. I will be drinking the teas, oiling up, and whatever else is necessary. It’s been 7 years, it’s about time.

2. Unplug. From school, social media, TV, and my to-do list. I need to just to be sometimes. Whether it’s on a blanket in my back yard with the kids, going for a bike ride or taking time to journal and read a book I have wanted to read. 


3. Bring some fun and creativity into my world - not related to work, school or a home improvement project. We made a bucket list for the summer time and we are going to be scheduling in some fun activities. I have my own things on the bucket list that I want to do. And Zak and I have some together. I really want to do one of those wine and painting classes, or visit a vineyard, hear some live music(really anything to do with wine sounds pretty good to me).

4. Slow down. I am going to slow down and stop and smell the flowers. Truly. Last week I was in Rochester for a Noonday event. On the way home, I just decided to take my time. I drove with the windows down, and listened to some great 90ʼs country. I stopped at on Outlet Mall that was on my way and shopped a little and had lunch at the cutest cafe ever. I chatted with cashier and took my time in my favorite store. It was magic. I found a cool sign. I didn’t buy, although now I am wishing I did. I may have to drive back. Maybe at lunch, you go sit outside, take your shoes off, and listen to the birds and take in some sunshine. It doesn’t have to be complicated or expensive to slow down. 
5. Let it go. No I am not suggesting you watch Frozen more. Lawd knows if you have children, you have already seen this too many times. Letting go of what we can not control, the worries, the never ending to do list. We have to give it to God - focus on what we can do today and let the rest go. Let go of trying to do too much in one day. Sometimes, let go of it all and just go have a fun filled day with your kids - no multi-tasking, no cleaning, just them and you. Great, now I have "Let it Go" in my head. 

Maybe like me, you have a hard time relaxing and unplugging form the demands of everyday life. You find yourself more serious and less joyful. 

We get one life.

There will always be ups and downs. There will be days that are rough. But we can’t forget to laugh, to smile through the tears if we must. Joy and hope are all around us each day. Take some time to find what you like to do, what fuels you, what revives your soul. Now go smile and laugh and find some joy in your journey. Let’s have deep wrinkles from smiling and laughing, rather than from worrying!

"We need hours of aimless wandering or spaces of time sitting on park benches, observing the mysterious world of ants and the canopy of treetops." - Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment