Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Every day life

 I decided that my blog doesn't always need to have a meaningful message in each one. Sometimes I just want to write about what we are up to. I think it will be fun to look back and read; and fun for the kids to read one day. 
The last week we have been on baby bird patrol. We have a robin's nest under our deck, which desperately needed to be power washed, but that has been put on hold until said baby birds leave the nest. Speaking of leaving the nest, we are on patrol because twice the birds have fallen out of the nest. Mama bird did not build the best nest and its seems incomplete on one side. We are also watching our Phoebe dog who would like to be closer to them. She has no killer instinct, so I'm pretty sure she wants to lick them. She is big, so she can almost reach. 
I can usually hear the mama bird squawking away when Phoebe gets too close. My middle Kellan is my animal lover and he lives on top of the deck watching them. He even got a semi-permanent line one day as his faced was glued to the top of the deck. He has given them names - Peter, Chick, and Pan(were in a Peter Pan phase).  I'm pretty certain that there are only two birds in there, but he and Liam swear there are three. So we're just going with that. 
These birds have to live, he prays every night for them. It's pressure!! I think he will cry when they fly away, too. There were storms rolling in this last weekend, so we put a tarp on part of the deck to protect the nest from getting washed away. Maybe you have a stressful baby bird situation as well, here is a great link with some info to help you. It helped us cope and realize that much of what we knew was myth. 
http://blog.theanimalrescuesite.com/lost-baby-bird/?utm_source=social&utm_medium=amc&utm_campaign=lost-baby-bird&utm_term=20150514
Kellan keeping an eye on his birds
Baby birds and the Phoebe dog ever so close 

To take the baby bird drama one step further, we had one egg that did not hatch and was sitting outside the nest. I tried explaining to Kellan that it was unlikely it would hatch. He of course believe that the baby bird just needed a new nest of his own and he would not let. it. go. 
So he took a plastic bowl from the kitchen and placed napkins and paper towels in and ever-so-gently placed the baby egg right in the center. Oh how he loved this egg to take care of. He would set it in the sunshine to keep it warm and talk to “baby chick” as he called it. When his friend in the neighborhood stopped by, Kellan could not wait to show him his prized egg he was hatching. As he brought it outside he dropped it onto the grass. And before he could pick it up the unthinkable happened.  Phoebe dog, you know the one I thought had zero killer instinct, snatched it up and swallowed it whole. 
He went into full-on hysterics. He cried so hard and told me he had a broken heart. His sadness made me cry as well and I just held him for a long while. He finally settled down about 45 minutes later, but still teared up off and on throughout the day. I am sure he will be discussing this at length in therapy one day! 
Kellan and "baby chick"
Zak was gone this last weekend in California for his cousin's wedding. I so wanted to go as well, but it's the end of the school year and last week of swimming. Just too much going on. We are so ready for summer vacation and even made a bucket list of things we want to do this summer and hung it on the fridge. Bring on summer! 
So while Daddy is away, sunning himself by the pool in sunny Cali, we are had our own fun too. When Dad's away, the kids will play. We made our own little pizza, and created ice creams sundaes! We also got to have a little slumber party in our bed and watch movies! Sometimes you have to break all the rules! All in all, we had a good weekend, I only had to call poison control once and Bennett's cut finger thankfully did not need stitches. We really did have fun, but with four kids there is always something. 
I also have a few of my own trips this summer. It may not be Cali, but still will be great. This Friday, I am in Rochester for an anti human trafficking event. It sounds amazing, a night for women, all wearing white.  There will be lots of great vendors, Noonday included. Flowered crowns to wear, hot air balloon rides and more. I am turning it into a little girls' night away for myself and get to have fun and help end human trafficking. It's a win-win! Looking forward to telling you more about it. And if you are in Rochester, and want to come go to this link to register. I would love to see you there!
 http://www.eventbrite.com/e/dreamy-night-wear-white-party-benefit-for-mission-21-tickets-11245759369

I also have another home project I am working on. Since we now have a new dining table, I took our old one and painted the top with chalkboard paint and am using it in the kids' play area. It will be a place where all 4 kids can fit, sit and color. The twins won't need paper they can just scribble away! 

The table is a hit. 

I also started my Intro to Psych class and I am loving it! I definitely think I have chosen the right major. Next up is Abnormal Psych and I am pretty excited for that one as well. 
This is what is new with Kane family, looking forward to long warm summer days with kiddos. Creating memories, building imaginations, homework and soaking in the short-lived MN weather. What is on your bucket list for this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment